Tish and the Original Snooky.

I gotta admit, when it comes to wacky hair dye, experience has made me more of a Special Effects kinda gal. I’ve been rocking a mane dyed “Electric Blue” (sing it to the tune of Debbie Gibson’s Electric Youth for a brief glimpse into what my brain sounds like. Digging those jorts, Debbie.) for over a year and half and, not only does it make me a better person, but I only have to touch it up ever two or three months because the SFX formula is so dang tenacious.

I was told that the fishtail braid was both easy and quick. It ain't. What the hell to women do to their hair that this is a cakewalk in comparison?!

I was told that the fishtail braid was both easy and quick. It ain’t. What the hell to women do to their hair that this is a cakewalk in comparison?!

On the other hand, if you’ve ever rocked a head of Atomic Pink or Pillarbox Red, thank Manic Panic hair dye creators Tish and Snooky Bellomo. These entrepreneurial punks and their store/wholesale business are probably 95% responsible for your and my cool hair tastes becoming a commercially viable “lifestyle” choice. The other 5%, sadly, goes to Rhianna and her stylists for squeezing any of the meaning and beauty out of almost every subcultural style and making me NEVER WANT TO SEE IT AGAIN.

Worn Fashion Journal has a great interview with the sisters Panic. Most importantly, this article came to me at a great time. I’ve been feeling a little overwhelmed and down on me and my business prospects. Not only is a life-spent-making an isolating thing, but having to deal with the business side of things can feel like an uphill battle. It’s often very difficult, especially when any tour of the internet will show you just how much success other people seem to be having, literally, all around you. It’s like drowning in a sea of other people’s accomplishment. It’s hard. Every day is hard and, sometimes, I’m just not up for yelling into the void. So, it was really helpful and calming to read about T & S’s struggles. It sounds like they got kicked around a lot but kept finding ways to with or around their problems (sometimes both!)

And you also have to never take no for an answer. That’s our other advice. Because we’ve been told so many times, oh no, that’s it, you can’t do that. And we’re like, but wait a minute. What about this way? What about that way? And we always seem to get it done. You know, there are times when you can’t, but in general, where there’s a will there’s a way. You just keep fighting for what you want.

Advertisements
Tagged , ,

One thought on “Tish and the Original Snooky.

  1. Other Liz says:

    Maybe not easy or quick but certainly lovely! Looking good, lady.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: